Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving At Our House



Since my parents were out of town, we offered to host Thanksgiving at our house. Jason's mom was sweet enough to come over bright and early and cook the turkey. I'm so thankful for her since I've never even attempted a turkey and felt that it would have been way too overwhelming. I have a hard enough time handling raw chicken, let alone a giant turkey. Jason's Grandma was also in town and was also a huge help in the kitchen.

We had a nice, relaxing day of hanging out, cooking, playing with Marley and Scott and holding Tyler. It was nice to keep it casual and the food turned out great.

Here are 2 new recipes that I tried and thought they turned out good (much better than last year's Brussel Sprouts gone bad).


Butternut Squash Gratin
*NOTE: To keep things much easier, I recommend using a large bag of frozen chopped spinach vs. fresh. It cuts down on a lot of time plus who can tell the difference. I think I only used 6 cups of spinach (which is plenty.)

Creamed Corn Casserole
This is similar to corn bread, but not as dense. Everyone really enjoyed this.

I always have luck finding recipes on www.bhg.com

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather, Thank you and Jason for having a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner for all of us to enjoy. You are such a fantastic cook and hostess. Everything was beautiful and delicious and the company was the best! Marley is a great addition to your family! Thanks for the recipes - I think they should become a tradition! Love, Betty

JKAndrus said...

Heather,
Those recipes look great! I'm glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving. I don't know if you watch the food network (I'm addicted) but their website also had great recipes and you can find everything and anything you could ever think to cook. Wish I was there to enjoy your cooking club, it looks like you guys have a lot of fun. You should post some of your favorites each month, I always love new recipes.
Love,
Kris

Jacquie said...

Missed Thanksgiving so much this year - we were served a variety of 7 chicken dishes (some good, some non-so good). We were told that the only place you can find a turkey in China is in the zoo.