Friday, November 30, 2007

Let the Countdown Begin



I am getting really excited for Christmas this year. Only one day to go before the December countdown begins. Growing up we always got Advent Calendars to help countdown til Christmas. I always loved the ones with pictures and would wake up every morning in anticipation of what would be behind each window. I will admit...sometimes I did cheat a little and would peak ahead. I'm looking for one to buy this year to have at work (hopefully it will help me stay motivated to keep working).

Here is some history on the Advent Calendars, thought it was interesting:

The origin of the Advent Calendar can be traced back to the 19th. Century. The first styles came from the protestant area. So religious families made a chalk line for every day in December until Christmas Eve. The first known Advent Calendar which was made by handwork is from the year 1851.

Other early styles were the Adventclock or the Adventcandle - a candle for each of the 24 days until Christmas, like todays Advent wreath. So in religious families little pictures were hang up on the wall - one for each day in December. Another tradition was to paint chalk strokes on the door, one per day until Christmas Eve.

4 comments:

Hillary said...

Who knew!! It was so great to chat last night! You're the best. Love and miss you
Hill

Unknown said...

Heather, I love Advent calendars too! I found a great website you might want to include in your blog. It's
http://lightsofthevalley.com/ There are some amazing houses listed! Other people might enjoy seeing some of these! I can't elieve tht the ones in The Woodlands aren't listed! Betty

Unknown said...

Heather, I love Advent calendars too! I found a great website you might want to include in your blog. It's
http://lightsofthevalley.com/ There are some amazing houses listed! Other people might enjoy seeing some of these! I can't elieve tht the ones in The Woodlands aren't listed! Betty

Danny McMillan said...

Heath, it was fun seeing you at lunch yesterday. I saw the infinity and thought "Oh, that looks like Heath's car." Then I forgot to look as I blazed past. Ha! Merry Christmas! three more weeks!

Danny