Friday, July 24, 2009

Relay For Life



Last weekend, Jay and I participated in Relay for Life. The American Cancer Society was one of my clients at work and Diablo put together a team to walk and raise money for the event. The walk lasts for 24 hours from 9am Saturday to 9am on Sunday. I got assigned the 1am shift. I persuaded Jason to walk with me since I didn't know how many other teams would be walking in the middle of the night. We actually had a really fun time walking together and were able to talk and actually got quite a good work-out. When we arrived there was only 1 other woman walking the path, so we were glad that we went to keep the relay going. We made it for 20 laps and were back home in bed by 2:30am.


The path was lined with luminaries that were in honor of those who have fought cancer and also in memory of those who have lost battles to cancer. It was very touching and inspirational and allowed me to reflect on my friends and family that have been so brave and have battled cancer. It helped me realize what an impact the American Cancer Society makes on so many people's lives.

3 comments:

Maya said...

OMG Heather, you did it!! You're such a sport, Diablo is lucky to have you. If I were them I would give you a big, fat raise and an office with a view. One can only dream, right?

And how sweet of Jason to come along with you, that's love.

XOXO
Maya

To Be Determined said...

A midnight walk with jason sounds like a really good time. Well done my friend!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad that Jason went with you! Looked a little dark. How nice of you to show your support. You're amazing!