Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Career Change



Many of you have listened to me through the past few months with debating about what to do about work. It truly was an inside battle that I was having with myself on whether I would be happiest to stay at home or go back to work. I think it is one of the hardest decisions for women to make these days and I didn't take the decision lightly. I have always been driven to succeed and worked so hard to get where I am in my career. Starting out with internships in TV and radio and working my way through the competitive world of advertising. While some people thought I was crazy, I loved working long hours and thrived on deadlines and challenges.

Three years ago I joined Diablo which was closer to home, less stress and easier hours. I knew it was the right direction I needed to make in order to eventually start a family since I would no longer be commuting. When I went on maternity leave, Diablo was hopeful that I would be able to come back Part-Time, which would have been ideal. Unfortunately with how the economy has turned in the last few months, my position was eliminated and I found out this morning that I will not be returning to Diablo. It took a few moments of me being sad to then realize that it really was all a blessing. When I went to bed last night I prayed that all would work out how it should. AND...I really do believe that everything happens for a reason. When I would talk to my friend, Jen about what to do she would say to me, "I know it will all just work out how it should." And she was right. I didn't have to make the decision, it was made for me. And now looking at Roman I smile and think how much I am going to cherish the time I am able to be at home with him.

Through it all, Jason has been so supportive to me. He never worries and always reminds me that everything will be fine. I am so lucky to have a husband that wants whatever makes me happy. He is AMAZING!

So I am joining the world of stay at home moms. Of course, I will always be working on something on the side (I just have to, it is in my blood).
SIDENOTE:A new blog is already in the works and at least it will help my creative juices flowing. Stay tuned for details.

I am ready to hit the gym, schedule playdates, go on morning walks with Marley, make Jason lunch and most importantly shower Roman with all the love and attention I have.


My new boss. Isn't he a cutie? When I came home today after my meeting, I picked up Roman and said, "OK man, you are stuck with me 7 days a week." I think he smiled.

9 comments:

To Be Determined said...

Oh Heather! Getting laid off, regardless of the reasons (or the fact you were sort of ok with it) still stinks.

I am happy you get to stay home with Roman. He is one lucky little boy to have such a fun mom.

Your new boss is the very cutest.
P.S Please come play with me before it snows.

Amy and Chad said...

I love this post! It was so cute and touching. The right decision did "just work out how it should." You are a wonderful mom and Roman is so lucky to have you!!! I love that you called Roman your new boss! :) I'm just sad that I will not be able to make those morning walks, gym trips or playdates with you. I miss you!!!

JT said...

So cute! I know my world turned upside down in a matter of minutes when Taylor virtually fell into our laps, but deciding to stay home with her was the best decision I ever made. Don't get me wrong, the short term gratification isn't really there, it's like I have to lean on Dustin for praise and appreciation. But when I get to witness those sweet moments with Taylor, I'm so glad that I'm the one who gets to be there. Love you lots!!!

Jennifer said...

What a blessing! It does always work out, doesn't it? :) I'm all about playdates. On behalf of stay-at-home-moms, we're happy to have you on board.

Scott McMillan said...

it will all work out. You will cherish the time you have with Roman and in the long run realize what a blessing it was to stay home with him.

Paris Bucklew said...

I too am excited to have you as a stay-at-home mom. I'll invite you to my next Tupperware party (j/k). We are COOL stay-at-home moms. Your new boss is one lucky guy :)

Hillary said...

Roman is a lucky boss. I know he can be very demanding and makes you keep long, long hours, but it will be so worth it! I know he'll reward you for it! Love you!

JKAndrus said...

That was the best post and I am so happy for you. The one thing you will never have to deal with is guilt. Obviously you will encounter a lot of other emotions good and bad but I am always so glad that I never feel guilty for not being with Audrey. You will love it, good for you!!

thedemichielfam said...

Heather what a blessing that in the end you really didn't have to "decide." You knew something like this would work out and I am so happy for you that it did. I am sorry to hear you got laid off, but I am thrilled for you and Roman that you two can have your time togehter...I wish you BOTH the BEST!!! xoxox