Saturday, February 14, 2009

Our Week of Tests


Let the monitoring begin. Starting at 32 weeks, I began to go into UCSF weekly for non-stress tests. This test consists of a quick ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid and then monitoring of the babies heart rate and contractions for a half an hour. This test is done to monitor the activity of the baby and to ensure that as the baby moves that the heart rate also increases. They consider you to "pass" the test as long as there are 2 increases within the timeframe.

Last week, we didn't pass the test as the babies heart rate stayed constant throughout the entire time period. This worried the doctor's a little, so they had me go back 3 times this week for further testing. Luckily by the next day, the baby was back to responding as he should be and they were reassured by Friday since he had 3 positive tests. Now I'm back to only going weekly...YEAH!!! I have to thank my Dad for bringing me to my appointments this past week. He picked me up at work, drove me into the city and sat with me as they did the tests. As he would see the heart rate rise on the monitor, he would give me the updates, it was very cute. I'm so lucky to have him and am constantly reminded of how blessed I am to have such an amazing Dad. He also got to come with me for my ultrasound this past week and I think it was fun for him to experience. My doctor has been doing monthly ultrasounds to check for growth. The baby measured right on and was even a little on the big side, so we were thrilled with that news. I asked the tech at the end if they could see the face, but due to his positioning and timing his face is no longer visible. So all we were left with was his little ear. I was kind of happy that we couldn't see him since now we have a real surprise to look forward to. I can't wait to meet him and see what he looks like. Only a few more weeks!!!

2 comments:

Paris Bucklew said...

What a perfect little ear! So cute.

The end is finally in sight! Can't wait.

Hillary said...

Wow, that picture is so crazy and amazing. The finish line is getting closer! Love ya