Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Giving Thanks for The Little Things


Before going to work yesterday morning, I decided to check my pile of mail that is usually mainly medical bills and thought I would open them on the way to work in the car. Yes, I know not very safe and not very uplifting.

As I was sorting thru the mail I came across 2 envelopes that were surpisingly not bills. One looked like a card and the other a small package. I was so excited to open them. The 1st was a Thanksgiving card from Barbara, my bible study leader. She listed all the reasons for me to be thankful, the reasons she is thankful and included some beautiful verses. What a wonderful way to start the day.

Then on to the mysterious package from my cousin Victoria in New Jersey. It was an adorable book titled, Spa Mama. What a thoughtful surprise. I haven't seen her in a few years and she holds such a special place in my heart since she is my Grandma Ruth's niece. It instantly put a smile on my face and allowed me to reflect on those little things that people have done this past year that mean so much to me.

I feel so lucky to have been blessed with such wonderful family and friends and I thought it would be fun to list a few of those special moments where people went out of their way to make me feel special within the last year.

Thank you...

To Jason for always putting a smile on my face.

To my Dad for picking up my Craigslist find this week in Novato. Without hesitation, he offered to drive out there and pick it up. This is just one of a million things he does for me.

To my Mom for always offering to bring over dinner, taking me to lunch or letting Marley out.

To Betty and Bob for the cute socks, onesies, black lab stuffed animal, apples and pie. Their gifts are always so thoughtful.

To Heidi for her weekly phone calls just to say hi and to check-in and see how I'm doing after each doctor's appointment.

To Grandma for her cards that she sends for every occasion and having me on her prayer list.

To Jen for stopping by with bagels and magazines when I was on bed rest.

To Paris and Heather for their gifts of pregnancy books.

To Tracy for my care package of goodies.

To Lauren for the daily morning phone calls on my way to work.

To Alix for the constant lunch invites.

To Danielle for my fun gifts from Ireland.

To Heather O for being my pregnancy partner in crime. Exchanging stories, symptoms and excitement has been so fun to experience with another friend.

To Laura-Lee for the beautiful flowers.

To Maya for the doll she left me at my desk to remind me of her and my gift from Hawaii.

To Amy for the cute pregnancy card.

To Cassie for loaning me maternity clothes.

To Angie for always inviting Jason and I over for the most amazing meals.

To Lisa for the CD she burned for me.

To Marty for sending me her daily funny emails.

To My Cooking Club for always being such an amazing support and fun group. I look forward every month to spending a night with all of you.

To My Bible Study Group for helping me grow in my faith and share in an amazing group of women. All your prayers, insight and words of encouragement always help me each week.

I'm so grateful for so many things in life, especially this year. Just wanted everyone to know that those little things don't go unnoticed. I'm going to try and do more this coming year in return.

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Heather,
You light up my life every day of the year with your love, smiles, encouragement and support to me. Thank you for always being my #1cheerleader! We truly are blessed with such a wonderful family...
Love, Mom

Maya said...

And I'm thankful for your friendship, and your kind and encouraging words. You're such a blessing in my life! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with all your family. I look forward to seeing you next week.

Love,
Maya