Friday, January 18, 2008

This Month In Diablo



I was so excited to see at work that Diablo Magazine is featuring the Walnut Creek aquanuts on the cover this month. Some of the pictures they are featuring brought up some hilarous memories of my time with the team. Although I wasn't the best of syncronized swimmers, I have some of the most amazing memories and friends from these days.

Here are some of my favorite memories...
-Our trips all around the country. We got to travel to so many places. The best part wasn't the competitions, but was the nights. We were always getting into some kind of trouble in the hotels and who wouldn't love being away from home and sharing a hotel room with 3 of your best friends at the age of 13?

-My daily carpools with the Wynstras and our "Hook" trio. Mrs. Wynstra always brought us to Sweet Affair and we always had so much fun.

-My duet partner, Jamie Heil. Of course we had the most amazing suit, designed by Ross (her Dad).

-Practical jokes, secret santas, dance classes with that woman with awful 80's hair, stretching, land drills (is that what it was called?), knox gelatin, the show, Pam Edwards, The Josaphasens, Natalie Schneider's Olympic car, nose clips (I wonder how many we actually bought), the gross showers, the cold mornings and the wonderful amount of blush we would wear.

Truly the best part was the friendships I made. We were with each other for up to 4 hours a day and even some mornings. These girls became some of my closest friends and I am so happy that I am able to look back and smile at all the wonderful memories.

5 comments:

The Cooper Family said...

It is fun to see the aquanuts again. We live near Larkey, so I walk with the kids to the park there, and sometimes seee them swimming. I think I only know a few coaches, but probably none of the swimmers anymore.

Jessie

Meg Honey said...

Heather,
Your post brought tears to my eyes. And you're right, our years of synchro were so special (a little strange, but very special!) Here are some of my favorite memories:
-Laura LaCursia (he he he he....so many interesting moments)
-"Are the games over yet?"
-Flowers from Dink Dink
-HOOK!!
-The Synchro Shows
-Working at the Snack Bar (although not a "synchro" memory, it's one that I always treasure)
-The dance teacher (I totally forgot about her...! I think we danced to Michael Jackson's "Black or White!")
-Laughing hysterically with you and all of our friends!
Thank you for this post...I miss you and love you a lot, my LaCheezia/Megrim/Patrick O'Brian!!!

JKAndrus said...

Heather,

Great post, I love it!! I still have dreams that I am about to perform at a synchro meet and I don't know the routine. It's actually a terrible dream and I get it every couple of months. Most say they have dreams about school/tests but no, I am knoxed and sequined up.
Love the synchro years, but glad they're over!
Kris

JT said...

How cool! Too many awesome memories! Every time I hear our duet music, I always think of you! :)

Another memory:

Naked woman always streching in the bathroom after am practice... saying "do you have any yotion???" Gross!!!

I forgot about Dink Dink... I'm laughing out loud right now!!!

Jennifer Stofiel said...

Question: Can anyone imagine letting your children stay in hotel rooms with three other children? NO WAY! Though I must say, overall, we were pretty well behaved children.