Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Return of the Reflux


I'm sad to report that my sweet chubby baby has reflux and it is making her very grumpy (just like Roman as an infant). I shouldn't be too surprised considering Paisley and Roman look like twins that they would both have the same stomach issues, but I was really hoping for an easy infant the 2nd time around. I think I tried to deny the problem for the past 3 weeks and now that I am worn out and exhausted I can admit that something isn't quite right. Her symptoms and issues are exactly the same as Roman...spitting up large amounts all day long (probably at least 20 times a day), general fussiness all day unless we are rocking her and moving around, agitated when breastfeeding, in pain after eating and inconsolable at night before she goes to bed. On the flip side, she is happy in the mornings, smiles a lot (and then one minute later is crying), likes laying on her back, likes the bathtub, sleeps in her carseat and is a good sleeper at night. Seriously...exactly like Roman. I think she may be his female clone.


It is harder and easier dealing with it this time around. Easier since I know this phase will end and that she will eventually be happy. Harder since I can understand the pain that she is in and feeling like there is something I should be doing as a mother to fix it. I think that is why I am not the biggest fan of the newborn phase. I hate seeing them in pain and it just breaks my heart not being able to help. During her 6 week appointment, her pediatrician (who I love) recommended I cut all dairy from my diet and see if that helps. I thought I could do it, but after about a week it seemed impossible (especially since I don't eat a lot of meats), so I felt like I was eating peanut butter all day long. With Thanksgiving and lots of parties these past 2 weeks, I totally cheated and was back to eating dairy in full force. Now I am contemplating what to do...either give the strict dairy free diet a try or start her on a hypoallergenic formula (which was the finally the solution for Roman at 6 months). She likely has a milk protein allergy, which means her little body can't process dairy through my breastmilk. Luckily most babies outgrow this around the age of one and can then process dairy.

I am really struggling with what to do since I don't want to give up breastfeeding, but also don't want her to be in pain. I do know all things will pass and in a few months I will look back on this post and smile. I always remind myself that Roman was a really hard baby, but is now such an easy toddler. I know that he has no memory of the pain that he was in for months and I'm sure Paisley will be exactly the same. I am so thankful that Roman has been so patient with this transition since it allows me to give Paisley the attention she needs right now.

2 comments:

The Cooper Family said...

Heather- I am so sorry that Paisley is having tummy troubles. Did you ever try medicine with Roman? Bella had horrible reflux problems. She would spit up just like you describe for Paisley. We put her on medicine and it was amazing how much she changed. I had to keep her on it until I stopped breast feeding. I did try changing my diet before trying medicine, but it did not help. I hope that you can find something to help soon!

Jessie

thedemichielfam said...

heather... what about medication? i know it's not ideal but it worked amazingly for grady. then you can still breastfeed. just a thought. you are in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo