Saturday, March 14, 2009

Welcoming Roman



We are so happy to announce that Roman Walter Maddox made his debut into this world on Friday, March 13th at 9:31am weighing in at 6 pounds 10 ounces. The love and connection you feel is so instant and to finally have him here feels like a dream come true.

The labor was LONG...lasting 47 hours from start to finish, but in the end it is all worth it when you hear that little cry. I had my ups and downs throughout the process and by Thursday night had a major breakdown. Not eating, pain and being confined to a bed for 2 days can really drive you crazy, but thank God for Jason, our families and friends that kept me motivated along the way.

Roman's birth was quite an event. We had 15 doctors and nurses in attendance. We felt like somewhat of celebrities (in the physicians world). Since he had to be born via forcep assisted delivery it made for some extra precaution. I won't go into the graphic details of the delivery, but after 30 minutes of trying to get him out we almost had to have an emergency c-section. Thankfully the Chief of OB was at the hospital and got him out. I just watched Jason the whole time and kept asking him do you think everything was OK. He kept reassuring me and I had such peace knowing that he was by my side to make sure everything would be fine.


After the birth, Roman spent some time in the Nursery to make sure he was OK. He passed with high marks and was shortly back with us. At that point nothing else mattered but that he was here. I had some complications yesterday after the birth and had to have minor surgery done to get rid of some clotting. Luckily after recovery, the doctor's felt like they had fixed the problem and that everything should be complete. Jason and I laughed about it later since with this pregnancy and birth we realized that you just never know what to expect even at the very end. I got back to the our room at 5pm and was exhausted and wiped out. But to see your babies face gives you all the energy you need to start caring for him. Jason was awesome throughout the night and due to my pain and lack of mobility was able to change all diapers and perfect the act of swaddling. I was reminded of all the reasons why I love this man so much and what a great Dad he is going to be and already is in just 1 day.


We are relaxing today and I'm starting to get some energy back. I feel so thankful to have received the best care at UCSF. It really is one of the best hospitals in the world and we were reminded of every reason why.

Now on to the real important stuff, some pics of Roman. I think he is the cutest and sweetest. I just love his little face and could stare at it for hours. He can't wait to meet everyone.




15 comments:

The Cooper Family said...

Congratulations on baby Roman! What a cutie! I am so happy for you and your family!

Jessie Cooper(Coffman)

Jennifer Stofiel said...

Congratulations Heather & Jason!

You are right he is the very cutest. Feel free to post some additional pictures, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more =)

Love Jennifer & Chip

JT said...

YEAH!!!! We love you so much and you are AMAZING for enduring all that you did. I can't wait to meet Roman and I just couldn't be more excited for you and Jason. You guys will be awesome parents!

Maya said...

Congratulations Heather and Jason!!!

I have such an admiration for you and for all you both have endured to make this day a reality. I AM SURE it is all worth it.

Your words on this post are the reason I like John 16:21 so much, and why I wrote on your card. I think it's an amazing bible passage and although I haven't experienced motherhood just yet, I'm sure that's just how you felt.

"When a woman is in labor she has pain, because her time has come. Yet when she has given birth to her child, she doesn't remember the agony anymore because of the joy of having brought a human being into the world."
John 16:21

Love you both, and congratulations to the Maddox, Lietz, and McMillan families on this new addition!

Jennifer said...

Heather,

Roman is beautiful! I'm sure he was worth all that labor. No surprise that it lasted 47 hours. That's one for the record books. We can't wait to meet Roman.

Love you!!

Ashley said...

Yeah!! He is here! I am so happy for you both and so proud of you for that LONG labor. He is darling and I get all emotional knowing that in just a little while we will have our little boy here! I can't wait to hear more and see more pictures of you all. Take care girl and give that sweet little Roman a kiss from us!

Ashley said...

Yeah!! He is here! I am so happy for you both and so proud of you for that LONG labor. He is darling and I get all emotional knowing that in just a little while we will have our little boy here! I can't wait to hear more and see more pictures of you all. Take care girl and give that sweet little Roman a kiss from us!

Chelle said...

Dear Heather and Jason,
CONGRATS! (This is Michelle, Danny's sister). Danny had told us what was going on, so we were excited to check your blog and see your beautiful little babe. So glad everyone is doing well now--you guys will be such great parents! Best of luck with everything.

Robin said...

He is soooo cute! I am so relieved that you are doing well and on to recovery. Jason does look like a very proud Papa! And you look wonderful too! Congrats to all the Grandparents too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Heather, to you and your family. Roman looks adorable and I love the name you chose, beautiful. So happy that you and Roman are doing well, and you can move on to just loving that sweet little guy!

Alix Allocco said...

OMG.... He looks just like Jason!! Heather you are a trooper. I am so happy for your guys. I would love to bring dinner over (maybe in a week). I know you will have alot of visitors but if you need anything just send me a text.

xoxo,
a

thedemichielfam said...

Oh Heather 47 hours...only you! Roman is beautiful and well worth the wait! I can't wait until I can meet him. In the mean time give him a squeeze for me! I love his nose...looks familiar! :)

Hillary said...

Yeah Congrats Heather and Jay. Baby Roman is so cute. I am so proud of both of you and can't wait to meet the little guy!

Unknown said...

Congrats Heather on you new bundle of joy! He is so precious!

Paris Bucklew said...

Congratulations Heather and Jason!!!

We just got home and I couldn't wait to turn on my computer to see pix of Roman. He is a good looking little man and we can't wait to meet him. Heather, you are such a champ, but I know you don't need for me to tell you that. Please let us know when we can bring Marley over to wear her out in the backyard. When you settle in, I want to bring over dinner as well. Love you guys! xoxo