Tuesday, March 17, 2009

We Are Home


We got home on Sunday night and there truly is "No Place Like Home." After spending 4 nights in the hospital, we were very ready to be back in our beds and couldn't wait to introduce Marley to Roman. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it has been great. Marley understands that she needs to be gentle and I am able to totally trust her. Most of the time, Marley just follows us around and tries to pretend to help (I guess that is what any new big sister would be doing).


Roman is doing great and is such a sweet, loving baby. I could just stare at him for hours and just smile. I love thinking that he is half of me and half of Jason and trying to figure out all his little features.


Monday was eventful and a little stressful, as Roman started looking yellow and luckily a visiting nurse took a blood test that later revealed he was jaundiced. Plus he was down over 10% of his birth weight, which for him was now under 6 pounds. The doctor called and told us that within the next 12 hours our goal was to flood him with formula (as much as he would possibly eat) and to wrap him in a bili blanket that was delivered to our house. The bili blanket is a portable contraption that allows you to be at home for light treatment versus having to be back in the hospital. We were so thankful for this since the last thing we wanted to do was be back in a hospital. As of this morning, he had another blood test and his counts are better and he even gained a little weight, so things are much better. He just has to continue the bili light treatment for 2 more days at home and continue to feed him like crazy.

Being away from the hospital also gave me some time to breathe and reflect on everything that had happened. I had a few moments yesterday when I just had to breakdown and let it all out. The whole labor, birth and surgery was somewhat traumatic emotionally and physcially and it all kind of hit me yesterday. I feel like a new person today and am now just focusing on having fun with our new family and celebrating all the good that came from it.


I love being blessed as a mom, I love seeing Jason as a Dad and I love Roman! It is such an overwhelming feeling of joy that I can't even explain. I thank God every morning for sending us such an amazing miracle.

3 comments:

thedemichielfam said...

Your family is beautiful. You will have many tearful moments as a mommy and they are well deserved! Glad to hear Roman is doing well...Grady was jaundice too! Love to all of you!

Hillary said...

So glad that you are home,you have had some time to reflect. I'm sure it felt good to get it all out and move forward. Roman is such an amazing gift to you and Jay. Love and miss you!

Jennifer said...

Roman is amazing and such a precious gift to you guys. :) Love you!