Thursday, December 27, 2007

Insomnia



Last night I experienced some major insomnia. Was up from about 1am to 3am. Not sure why...maybe too much excitement running through my head after all the holiday activities. Usually I wake up Jason and try to get him to talk, but he wasn't feeling good (has a cold), so instead I just sat there trying to clear my head. I didn't want to turn on the light since it would wake up the pup, but after a 1/2 hour of not going back to bed I started to contemplate going to the living room to read.

All of a sudden out of nowhere up popped Serena. My tortoise shell cat, the love of my life. It really was as though she could sense that I needed a little extra love. So she climbed into bed and under the covers and snuggled with me all night. I didn't mind being awake since I could give her some much needed extra love (now that she doesn't get as much with the arrival of the pup.)

Not everyone understands cats and I'm the first to admit I was NOT always a cat person until I got my own. They are amazing animals that are all unique in their own ways, have funny quirks, are independent, loving and are creatures of ritual. I love them so much and they bring such happiness to our lives.

I got Serena about 4 years ago right before Christmas as a surprise present for Jason. Lauren and I visited the pet store and they were having Feral Cat adoptions (little did I know what a feral cat was at the time). I saw a little kittie named Sparky and thought it was a sign. Sparky is the name of the ASU mascot and where Jason and I went to school together. I figured as long as Sparky was nice I couldn't pass her up. So I held her and immediately she began to purr. So loud that I thought something was wrong with her. But a little girl came up to me (true story) and said, "You know the louder they purr, the more they love you." After that I was sold. I brought home Sparky (later named Serena) and gave her to Jason in a box. We tried telling him it was a turtle, but opened the box to find out we got a cat. One week later, we got another cat Sage. And that was the beginning of our family farm.

No comments: