Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's A Boy!

Jason and I had our 18 week ultrasound this morning and we were so excited to find out that we are having a little boy. Both of us felt pretty strongly from early on that it was a boy, but you just never know. Jason told me at the 6 week ultrasound that he was sure he saw a boy, but I reminded him that the baby didn't even have legs yet. I knew that whatever it was, we were happy to be blessed with a baby.


My favorite part of the entire ultrasound was Jason's reaction when she announced it was a boy. The look on his face was priceless. It is something I will remember forever. I immediately felt so much joy. Jason always thought my sister would have all the boys and we would have all the girls. I immediately thought of the special bond that he has with Scott and Tyler and tears came to my eyes. I was so excited that my little guy will have 2 boy cousins to look up to. I loved calling my sister to tell her the news and I was even able to call my parents who are currently on vacation in Turkey.

Most importantly, it was a big appointment for us and the baby since we also had a fetal echo done. This test is an ultrasound that is done specifically on the heart to look for defects. Since I have a congenital heart defect it qualifies me for having a higher risk for a baby with one. And also since Tyler has one they are very thorough to make sure everything is checked out. The pediatric cardiologist felt pretty certain that everything looked normal, so we were so thankful to get that good news. I do have to go back in a few weeks for them to double check one spot, but the doctor said it was nothing to worry about. I have realized that when you are a high-risk pregnancy nothing is ever completely ruled out or checked off easily. I've learned to accept it and be grateful for the extra care that I do get at UCSF.

During the ultrasound they were able to do a 3-D effect at the end. The picture is a little blurry, but we could see his little face.


So it is on to shopping for blue. I'm lucky since it is my favorite color.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Heather! Boys are so much fun! And watching the father, son bond is priceless. Here's to a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy!

Hillary said...

The ultrasound pictures are so clear! I loved getting the news today. Yeah for baby boy Maddox. I can't wait to buy him some cute baby boy clothes! Congrats and love from NYC :)

The Cooper Family said...

Oh so exciting! I love having boys, and it will be great for him having 2 boy cousins! Congratulations! And what a great picture of his face!

Jennifer said...

Great and exciting news! He looks beautiful :) Can't wait to meet him.

Alix Allocco said...

YEAH!!!! He looks so cute. I can't wait to meet your little man. The ultrasound pictures are great too. I am so thrilled for you and Jason.

Scott McMillan said...

I can't wait to meet baby boy maddox. Scott and Tyler are also very excited for a little cousin to steal trains from as well as learn baseball from. We couldn't be happier and I would like to say that I think he is really cute from the ultrasound.

Scott McMillan said...

I can't wait to meet baby boy maddox. Scott and Tyler are also very excited for a little cousin to steal trains from as well as learn baseball from. We couldn't be happier and I would like to say that I think he is really cute from the ultrasound.

Jacquie said...

Congratuations Heather & Jason Dad and I counted down the days one by one while we've been in Turkey waiting for it to be 8:30pm on October 21 since we knew that's when you would call after your appointment. My eyes were filled with tears while we talked - we were just thrilled to hear that the doctors feel the baby's sonogram and echo looks good. The photos of our handsome little guy are so cute...Love, Mom and Dad

Angie and Jerry said...

Hi Heather! I haven't seen you since Kelli's wedding but I saw your blog through Kelli's and just wanted to say congrats! I had a miscarriage too and am now 24 weeks pregnant so your story really hits home. I am so happy to hear you're doing well!! Take care! Angie

Paris Bucklew said...

What a handsome little boy! I can't wait to meet him :)

Maya said...

I think he's got Jason's nose!!

I'm sooo happy for you Heather! Sometimes I still can't believe you are going to be a momma, but pretty soon I'll be able to spot your belly before you turn the corner at my cubicle :)

Maya

Unknown said...

We are so pleased for the two of you! What a lucky little boy he'll be to have the two of you for his parents! Thanks so much for taking us to SF with you to see the ultrasound and see just how healthy he looks. Great John Lennon song - he is truly going to be a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, darling boy. All our love, Mom and Dad