Thursday, November 10, 2011

Parenting 101

Sometimes I wish that there was a Parenting Coach or hotline that you could call for advice. I guess that is what friends are for. I think that would be a successful business. You pay a monthly fee and someone is always there to help you along the way.

I've got 2 current parenting issues with this little rascal.
NOTE: I chose this pic since he looks Oh so innocent.

About 95% of the time this guy is such a loving, sweet, funny boy. He is full of energy and definitely a character, but so, so sweet. But he can be mischievous.

Issue #1
He thinks it is funny to run away from me in public. AND usually I am holding Paisley, so I go running full speed while also holding Paisley. It is not only embarassing, but can be scary because he is often a few feet from the street. He has yet to go into the street, but I simply don't trust him that he wouldn't. He usually does this for me at parks and church. The look on his face when he does it is pure enjoyment and he thinks it is hilarious. I have tried everything (timeouts, yelling, speaking calmly), but disiplining Roman is not always easy because he thinks NO is funny. I am open to suggestions because I am getting nowhere.

Issue #2
He is starting to give me a really hard time when we have activities to go to, especially school and church. We will get ready and then he doesn't want to leave the house or the car. Today it happened in the church parking lot. He likes to refuse walking and sometimes lays down in the parking lot. This is always fun since about 50 other woman who are in my Bible Study are also entering the building at the same time, so they see my parenting in action. I don't give in and we usually make it to the classroom after 5 minutes of fussing, laying on the ground, crying and me carrying 2 children.

It can be so hard to know how to parent sometimes. I know the challenges get harder and harder as they get older, but I also understand that toddlerhood is all about establishing boundaries, rules and order. The good thing is that the other 95% of the day (which is a lot) are filled with laughter, happiness and fun. Roman woke up this morning and said, "The Sun is up. Roman did that." I could just melt with statements like that.

4 comments:

Jennifer and Chip said...

excuse me...Is that a Michigan Jersey? JASON MADDOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry about his tantrums. Don't worry about the other mom's. They are thinking. Oh man, I remembered when that was me. I should get her a glass of wine.

Heather said...

It is actually a Cal jersey. Betty and Bob are alums, so Jason was raised a fan. (he actually cheers for them instead of ASU)

I can only imagine the kind of mischief this one will get into in High School. Payback for me and YOU! Ha ha!

thedemichielfam said...

Heather...if anyone gives you great advice pass it along! Grady runs from me too and I've actually cried b/c it freaks me out so much...any advice on tackling and knocking over younger siblings is welcomed by me too! You are a fantastic mother...remember this is JUST a phase...soon enough we'll think and say, thank goodness that's over. Although in the meantime...thank goodness for vino! :o) J/K

D-dawg said...

Have you tried candy? For whatever reason, treats work SO well with my kids. I would carry around a little pack of smarties and tell him if he's really good and stays by you and doesn't run away he will get some. Then I would periodically praise him for being so good and give him one. I don't know though - we never had the running away issue! Good luck- that is scary- especially, like you said, in busy/dangerous spots.